001 - Under Construction (12/07/2010)

MelloMoose

001 - Under Construction (12/07/2010)

Postby MelloMoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Basically still a test comic, but at least it has some drawing in it, right? I have a few story ideas, but initially, I think the comic will be me working my way to a sustainable process.

So what’s not done? It’s still very sketchy–not properly inked. It will be in color soon, I hope. There are supposed to be gutters on either side, so I guess I didn’t measure correctly when I put it together in Photoshop. Also, I think I’m going to try something different with balloons for the disembodied “Voice”–I want it to feel other-worldly, but not look ghostly or mechanical.

I bought Manga Studio EX 4 and I’ve been practicing with my Wacom tablet (since no one’s sent in a Cintiq yet). I’m trying to put together a hybrid traditional/digital illustration workflow that will allow me to make regular posts with my limited time (until I become one of the many stinking rich webcomic producers and can quit my day job).

Anyways, back soon, I hope.

MelloMoose

002 - Fat Webcomic-Cash, Man! (01/01/2011)

Postby MelloMoose » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:28 am

The second comic is up! And there was only a 3-week gap between it and the first -- seriously, you're surprised, aren't you?

Got a new font, Comicrazy from Comicraft -- took advantage of their "11th Annual Never-To-Be-Repeated New Year's Day" sale. Normally it sells for $395, but I got it for the sale price of $20.11. I was using Letter-O-Matic (slightly altered to be taller and thinner), which is still the font for headings throughout the site, but I like Comicrazy for the dialogue balloons. I tend to print slightly italic, but otherwise, Comicrazy looks a lot like my writing (when I'm taking my time). I was sold on the As, Ms, Rs and Ys -- I don't like when the As and Ms are rounded at their peaks and the Rs and Ys are very similar to my own. Wow, a whole paragraph on "font".

I drew the first (and third panels) entirely in Manga Studio EX 4. There's a lot I like about the lines you get, more so than in Photoshop, but I can see where the finishing effect of the pen tool could be a crutch.

I'm not loving the artwork, but I'm still learning the tools and it's only going to evolve if I keep pushing through, right?

Yes, I re-used the first panel for the third. I added a couple of lines to the list, but otherwise... Did you ever see "Clerks - the Animated Series Uncensored"? The second episode was a flashback -- clips from the first episode. I guess I should have re-used art from the first strip to get the same effect, but that was sort of the same type of joke I was going for...

Anyways, I have two other ideas sketched out, so I hope to have new comics for this Friday and next Monday.

MelloMoose

003 - Easily Replaced by a Psychic Penguin (05/10/2011)

Postby MelloMoose » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:42 pm

I work with a guy who just happens to be named "Bill" and is short and also Canadian. The comic is almost an actual conversation I've had with him.

I drew this in pencil on some comic strip boards my brother got me for Christmas. I also did some rough inking of the original art, before scanning and loading it into Manga Studio. Once imported, I made the art a sketch layer and re-inked using the Wacom tablet. It's probably because I don't know what I'm doing, but I don't like my lack of precision when creating panels and word balloons in Manga Studio (anyone know of any good tutorials?), so I'm still doing that work in Illustrator. When I do color, it's in Photoshop.

This conversation is just one of the great things about being a recruiter.

Return to “ARTWORK & STUFF”